1 medium onion, into 4 slices
1 Cubanelle pepper, halved, seeded and cored
2 Tbsp olive oil
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 long Italian loaf, sliced in half lengthwise
3 Tbsp butter, melted
½ cup Mojo Mustard, recipe follows
12 thin slices deli ham (about 12 oz)
2 cups homemade or store-bought carnitas, recipe follows (see Cook’s Note)
6 dill gherkins, sliced in thirds lengthwise
8 slices Swiss cheese
1 cup yellow mustard
1 Tbsp honey
2 tsp chili paste
1 tsp fresh oregano
½ tsp ground cumin
Zest of 1 orange plus 1 tbsp orange juice
Zest and juice of 1 lime
1 clove garlic, minced
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper Slow-Cooker Carnitas
4 lb(s) boneless pork shoulder, into 2-inch cubes, with fat cap scored
1 Tbsp chipotle powder
3 cloves garlic, smashed
2 cinnamon sticks
1 yellow onion, quartered
½ cup orange soda
¼ cup vegetable oil
Zest and juice from 1 large orange
1. Preheat a sandwich press to medium heat.
2. Drizzle the onion and pepper with the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Put the onion and pepper on the sandwich press, close and cook until tender and lightly browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Slice into strips.
3. Brush the outside of the bottom half of the bread with some of the melted butter. Brush the inside of both halves with a generous amount of the Mojo Mustard. On the bottom half of the bread, layer the sliced deli ham and top with the carnitas. Top with the gherkins, grilled onion and peppers and finally the cheese. Top with the top half of the bread and brush with more butter. Slice in half width wise.
4. Place both halves in the sandwich press, close, press down and cook until the bread is crispy and the cheese is melted, 5 to 7 minutes. Half to make 4 sandwiches. Mojo Mustard
1. Mix together the mustard, honey, chilli paste, oregano, cumin, orange zest and juice, lime zest and juice, garlic and some salt and pepper in a bowl. Slow-Cooker Carnitas
1. Set the slow cooker to high. Put the pork cubes in the slow cooker and season all over with the chipotle powder and some salt. Turn any pieces with the cap upright. Nestle in the garlic, cinnamon sticks and yellow onion. Pour the orange soda, vegetable oil and orange juice and zest over the pork. Cover and cook on high until super tender, about 4 hours.
2. Preheat the oven to broil.
3. Transfer the pork chunks to a baking sheet side up. Let the liquid in the slow cooker settle it on the surface. Scoop off about 1/4 cup and drizzle over the pork chunks. Broil until the meat is crispy and the bubbly, 1 to 2 minutes.
Ina Garten’s Best Summer Entertaining Recipes
Oh, those summer nights. They were made for eating, drinking and relishing in the warm weather as long as you can keep the mosquitoes at bay. Make the most of our too-short season by inviting over some friends, and the grill and enjoying a fruity. Ina Garten will help you host in style with these easy recipes that ensure entertaining is both effortless and delicious.